Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Purpose "On Purpose"

Purpose happens "ON PURPOSE."
Just a little while ago, I met my next door neighbor in the breezeway. She is moving out of the apartment complex. Having only spoken to her a couple of times, briefly, for some reason, it felt as if God was wanting me to linger there for a moment, so I did. I told her that I hadn't seen her lately and she told me she was sick. Not wanting to pry but feeling she wanted to share more, I stood there for a minute and she started telling me her story. She has cancer, first uterine, which they were able to take care of and then only six weeks later, they diagnosed her with bladder cancer, as well. She's having traditional chemo and radiation treatments. I asked, "Can I give you a hug?" She moved towards me with a comfortable step and hugged me. She has small children and has a caregiver that has been keeping watch over her and her children, which is why she has to leave her apartment. She said God will never give her any more than she can handle but wonders if she's reached her limits as far as what she CAN handle.

We chatted about loss and grief and she is definitely grieving....the loss of stamina, not being able to chase after her kids the way she used to. These are all triggers for a special kind of grief. I told her I would be praying for her and gave her my email address and phone number and said, "If you EVER need me, please do not hesitate to contact me." She started crying and said, "It is amazing that people can reach out and care even when they don't know a person hardly at all." But God knows her and cares for her and sends people into her life and every one's life that connect in some way or other.

Is there someone next door to you that is battling something? Is a friend or relative experiencing some kind of affliction or problem that they might need to talk about?

God is the Healer. He is the Connector. He is the one we call on in times of prosperity and in times of trouble, as well. Pouring out tears with my next door neighbor wasn't how I expected to start my day today, but God assigned that time for me to listen to this woman and pray for her.

What will you be called to do today? An act of love, compassion and caring speaks volumes of God's grace and mercy.

1 Cor 13:7,8..."Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things...Love never fails"

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, my friend. Thank you for sharing this with us. It's a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty,

    This is a great post. Take a look at MPN - I placed a link for this story on our home page under "Encouraging Word". Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Kathi and Deb for taking the time to read and comment on this heartfelt blog -- I am blessed to have such wonderful friends that encourage and inspire others....your writing talents and gifts are truly amazing!

    Patty :)

    ReplyDelete