Monday, October 24, 2011

10-4 Good Buddy!

Many times, my late husband used to say, "The reason you have one mouth and two ears is because you need to talk less and hear more." Hard advice for a talker like myself. My father enjoyed teaching me words and encouraged a good vocabulary. Loquacious, I believe, is the word that means talkative. When someone is talking to me, I have often noticed that I'm already thinking about a good response. Sometimes I wonder how many others are in the same mental routine? Ask yourself next time, "Do I really have to say something clever or should I just listen to what the other person is saying....just listen?"

Connection to others is an integral part of our lives. That is one reason social networking caught on so quickly -- People love renewing old friendships, finding long lost relatives, etc. To stay connected, we need to have our human radar up and ready to receive.

Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart does good, like medicine..."

People are always mentioning to me that I am funny saying things like, "You should be on television as a comedienne," or "You should become a columnist or write a funny book." To me, it can be both a God-given blessing or sometimes, a curse. God has shown me that it's not about ME, it's about HIM and as I try to balance my humor with my listening skills, sometimes I just have to "tone it down" and hear what is being said.

Widowhood is one of those instances where being funny is not always appropriate. The ladies and gentlemen that I have come in contact with that are widowed are still walking the journey of grief. It may be recent or long ago, but being respectful and listening to them share their feelings is important. To some of these isolation has become a way of life. This is an opportunity where God has taught me to "hear" and then "speak."

It's true that humor can be used as a tool in some situations, but only when it is discerned as appropriate. Be sensitive to those who are in your company. Listen and determine if a word is needed or a hug is required. People that are solitary need lots of hugs to get them through these valleys. Be kind, gentle and once in awhile, give them a dose of healthy humor.

Proverbs 15:13 "A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance..."

Are you tuned into the right frequency? Are you hearing loud and clear what God wants you to do concerning a broken, hurting heart? As they say in radio, "Ten Four Good Buddy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment