Monday, October 31, 2011

You've Got a Friend!

Whenever I'm feeling really down, I call one of my friends and try to encourage them in some small way. Recently, one of my closest friends was having a very difficult day. She's a stroke survivor and is paralyzed on her right side and is sometimes very hard on herself. I could tell that day was not a good one for her, so as soon as I heard the familiar, "Hello" on the other end of the phone, my "actress" side kicked in and I said something comical, "I'm sitting out here on the veranda sipping a mint julep (of course, those who know me wouldn't believe that one). She immediately started laughing and almost choked. Of course, I said many other things, but the bottom line is it got her out of her blues and into a more joyful place.

There are so many times when we need a "pick me up" and someone else needs it worse than we do! In making my dear friend laugh, it accomplished two things: 1) It got the focus off my own blahs and 2) Cheered up my friend and caused her sadness to disappear.

Friendship achieves many things such as; we commit to that relationship, we listen and we cement that friendship with our loyalty and love.

It is often said, "I can count my TRUE friends on one hand." I think this might be accurate. Oh sure, we have many, many acquaintances, but only a handful of real friends. How many friends would be there to listen to you at midnight? Would you take a call at three a.m. from a distraught, hurting friend? It takes dedication, sacrifice and good old patience! But in the long run it's well worth it...

Hum, it sounds kind of like the "ultimate" friend....JESUS!

The old hymn, "What a friend we have in Jesus" -- He sacrificed, He listens to our prayers, He won't forsake us and He provides for us....

He only asks us to be faithful and incline our hearts towards Him.....

Proverbs 17:17 "A friend loves at all times...."

Are you being a true friend? Do people come to you with their problems and you put down whatever it is that you are doing right at that moment and listen?

Do you know someone recently widowed? Reach out to them and be sensitive to their hurt and grief. It may have been a long while since you walked this path but you can still touch others with your compassionate heart and a shoulder to cry on. We are servants of the Most High -- Look for opportunities in your neighborhood, church or wherever you are and I'm sure there is someone that needs a smile or kind word from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment